Jun 13, 2011

THE FORCING OF THE PORTUGUESE LANGUANGE IS AN IMPEDIMENT FOR THE YOUNG TIMORESE

BY JOSÉ KAI LEKKE SOUSA-SANTOS

The forcing of the Portuguese language on Timor is an impediment for the majority of young Timorese, Timorese studied during the occupation, who finished or are undergoing tertiary study in Indonesia.

They are forced to learn a whole new foreign language if they want to continue their studies or even work for the government in their own country.

This puts them at a distinct disadvantage against the minority of Timorese who spoke Portuguese at home or in their host countries. This is in no way a positive situation.

It recreates a class system which rewards the few at detriment of the many. Please remember that I am one of those minorities few that spoke Portuguese at home, that learnt to read and write in Portuguese and other languages.

So if anything the current situation favours me, but it’s wrong.

I want to compete for jobs against my country men and know I got the job because I was the best man, not because I speak an elitist language.

No comments: