Jun 28, 2011

Girls have the Same Right to go to School

Foto (Jano)
For Fidelia Soares, mother of six and participant in CARE’s Young Women Young Nation program, sending her children to school is as important as buying food.

In Timor Leste, a country where one third of the population experiences food shortages, it is difficult for families to balance the need for food with the importance of education. While primary school
 is free, the cost of school books and uniforms is often prohibitively high for families who survive on subsistence farming alone.
‘I did not get an education, so I know that it is so important for my children to go to school – especially the girls,’ Fidelia says.

Girls are usually the first to be taken out of school, with parents prioritising the education of their sons over that of their daughters.

Yet, when a girl completes primary school, she is more likely to postpone having children until she is ready, and to send them to school. She is more likely to have a healthier family and earn a greater income

Working to remove barriers
This is why CARE is working to remove barriers that prevent girls from going to school, and staying there, in Timor Leste, as well working with the community on events and materials to help the girls get more out of school when they do attend.

CARE works with parents like Fidelia to explain the importance of sending their girls to school. Although she is committed to sending her daughters to primary and secondary school, it’s not an easy decision for her to make.

‘It is difficult to send all of my children to school. My husband is very sick and he can’t work, only I work.We split the money between buying food and sending our children to school,’ she says.

Despite her challenges, Fidelia is determined that all of her children will have an education, and works hard to make her dream a reality.

Positive female role models
Once in school, the girls are encouraged through the introduction of activities like traditional dancing, singing, sport and quizzes to help them build confidence. CARE has produced a book with positive female role modelsand stories for young girls to relate and aspire to.

Fidelia’s daughter Agustina is in grade six.

‘I have read CARE’s book “My Dream”, I liked it because the stories inspired me and motivated me to become like the person in the story. I would like to be a journalist when I finish school…maybe I could write these books one day,’ she says.

Every few months, CARE organises a community event for girls in school to showcase their new skills. Parents and other community members are invited to celebrate the achievements of their children. Parents are publicly recognised for sending their girls to school.

Fidelia proudly recalls seeing her daughter sing in front of the whole community; ‘When I saw my daughter perform. I felt very happy. I hope my children have a better life than me.’

Source: CARE via ETAN

No comments: